My go-to spicy lentil dish
I love this dish - I can honestly say that I make it every other week, especially during the cold winter months (although, we've been having a super mild winter this year -- definitely not complaining). When we need to eat something delicious and hearty, but don't feel like hovering over a stove for too long, my Le Creuset pot comes out, and humble lentils are made into a large, satisfying meal in no time. I love working with lentils because unlike some other legumes, they cook quickly and can transform into a variety of flavors. Lentils are also super nutritious: they lower cholesterol, are a fabulous source of vitamin B, are a great source of fiber and may be good for the heart (horray).
This dish is best served with brown rice, and I almost always chop up some broccoli and throw it in there for a few minutes, right before we serve to give it some texture and a nutritional crunch. Alternatively, throw in some cauliflower or spinach in there to change things up a little bit.
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 4 cups water
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, mustard seeds and chile and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir to ensure nothing burns. Add the tomato and cook for another minute or so.
- Add the lentils and water. Throw in the garam masala and turmeric.
- Bring the lentils to a boil and then lower the heat and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked through. Keep checking back, you may need to add a bit more water.
- Add salt and red pepper flakes to taste. Adjust seasoning as you see necessary.
- Add in veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, or spinach) a few minutes before serving